- AALL Access to Electronic Legal Information Committee’s – Principles & Core Values Concerning Public Information on Government Websites
- AALL Government Relations Office
How to be an effective legislative advocate. Remember, legislative advocates are made, not born!
Use the following tips to start advocating:
- Know the Issue. Read and familiarize yourself with the facts.
- Connect. Contact with any officials, legislators or individuals who have taken the lead in your state.
- Get what you need. Request informational from the proper government agencies.
- Reach out. Your allies can help! Contact your state’s uniform law commissioner, chairs of chapter government relations committees, or other state library associations for help.
- Meet. Arrange a meeting with the contacts you have. Formulate questions to ask and get answers face to face.
- Help out. If a bill has not yet been written, offer to assist your state contact in recruiting sponsors or co-sponsors.
- Track it. Follow the bill’s progress throughout the legislative process.
- Speak up. Draft testimony or letters in support of the bill. Again, the GRO will have information to guide you.
For information about planning a successful Sunshine Week program, please click here.
Issues We’ve Tackled
- Uniform Electronic Legal Material Act (UELMA) – more info here
- Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA)
- Intellectual Freedom and Privacy
- Digital Rights Management and Fair Use