- January 24, 2012: NOCALL Business Meeting – The meeting will take place at Santa Clara University from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. There will be food, colleagues, speakers, and (of course) NOCALL business. I hope many of you will be able to join us! Please see the registration flyer for all the details! Please RSVP to Holly Riccio no later than Tuesday, January 17th – by email Holly Riccio, phone (415) 984-8761 or fax the registration form to (415) 984-8701.
- February 10, 2012: Tour of the Internet Archive
Join (10 of) your fellow NOCALL members for lunch and a tour of the Internet Archive (www.archive.org). “The Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public.” The tour will be from noon – 1:30pm. If you would like to attend, please email Julie Horst by February 3rd. Tour space is limited, so please reply if you want to attend!
- March 9 – 10, 2012: Joint Spring Institute
The website for the 4th All-California Joint Institute, The State We’re In: California Law Libraries in Unprecedented Times, March 9-10, in San Diego is available here. Please see the EventBee web site for the Online Registration Form.
- March 15, 2012: Nominations for the NOCALL Award for Professional Achievement and for the NOCALL Award for Advocacy are due. All of the information and forms are available here.
- April 3, 2012: Local Sunshine Week Program – The San Francisco Bay Region Chapter of SLA & NOCALL present Citizens United – A Local Sunshine Week Program with Jay Costa, MapLight from 5:30 – 8:00 PM at Absinthe Brasserie & Bar (388 Hayes Street, San Francisco, CA 94102). Please register online here by March 27th.
- April 9 and April 18, 2012: Networking Events at the Firing Range – Join fellow NOCALL members at the Jackson Arms in South San Francisco and learn about guns, gun safety and the different kinds of ammunition. Following the one-hour class setting, you’ll have a chance to go out “on the line” and fire away. Spaces are available for both the Monday session (April 9th) and the Wednesday session (April 18th). Cost is approximately $30 (depends how much ammunition you use) and class begins at 6:30 PM. Please email Julie for Monday’s session by Wednesday, 4/4.
- April 11, 2012: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the California State Archives – with the Sierra Nevada SLA Chapter. Cost: $5 SLA members/retired, $10 non-members, $2 students/between jobs. Please go to the Sierra Nevada Chapter website to register for this event.
- April 28, 2012: Resume and Interview Workshop at SJSU – we are looking for law librarians to participate as resume reviewers and mock interviewers. For more information, please contact Prano Amjadi.
- May 11, 2012: BayNet Annual Meeting – Join BayNet for a free program with the University of San Francisco’s David Silver, “Digital Natives” on a Media Fast: A Few Findings About College Students, Collective Curiosity, and Libraries. It will be held during the BayNet 2012 Annual Meeting on Friday, May 11, 9:00 am — noon in the Koret Auditorium, San Francisco Public Library 100 Larkin Street (at Grove), San Francisco. Want more information?
- May 15, 2012: Presentation of California’s Civil Justice Crisis – The speaker, James Brosnahan, (Senior Partner, Morrison & Foerster and Chair of the November 30, 2011 Hearings on California’s Civil Justice Crisis) will address the nature and extent of the crisis, the efforts to address the crisis, and the responsibility of lawyers to work towards a solution. This is a 1 hour MCLE credit program but all are welcome. For more information and the flyer/registration form click here.
- May 19, 2012: SF Law Library Book Sale (Volunteers Wanted!) – The time has arrived for the Branch book sale! Thousands of books will be available for purchase. The sale will be held at the Law Library’s former Financial District Branch at 685 Market St., Suite 420. Most books will be sold for $3! For more information, click here. SF Law Library would welcome and be grateful for volunteers who would be willing to assist them. The sale is from 10-4, but they would not expect volunteers to be there that long. A shift from 9:30 – 12:30 or 1 – 4 would be helpful. Please contact Marcia R. Bell (Director) if you have an interest and she can provide more information.
- May 29, 2012: NOCALL Business Meeting – Join your law librarian colleagues as we eat, socialize and swear in the new board at One Market Restaurant (1 Market Street San Francisco, CA 94105). No host bar opens at 11:30 a.m. and lunch is from noon to 1:00 p.m. The short program begins at 12:30 p.m. Please mail, fax or e-mail (email@example.com) this form to: Holly Riccio Registration Deadline: Thursday, May 24, 2012. Thanks to Thomson Reuters for the generous contribution to this event.
- June 27, 2012: Librarian Mashup – Who: Librarians of NOCALL, SLA & BayNet Where: The Holding Company, Promenade Level of Embarcadero Two in the Financial District of San Francisco (Yelp; their actual website with menus) When: Wednesday, June 27th from 5-7 PM Why: Networking! Bring your business cards. RSVP: Yes, by June 20th to Julie Horst
- July 9th, 2012: Brown bag lunch: Law Librarianship Through the Decades – Please join us for a conversation with Cy Silver, retired law librarian, who was instrumental in developing LA County’s classification system in the late 60’s as well as serving as State Law Librarian in the early 70’s! Hear what it was like to be a law librarian before Internet…Fax…Computers! From 12:00 pm-1:30 pm at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals 95 Seventh Street, SF, 94103 (corner of 7th and Mission). Please bring government-issued ID for entrance. RSVP to Lori Ruth, Research Librarian at Winston & Strawn LLP.
- July 10, 2012: BayNET (a group of librarians from all types of libraries in the bay area) Workshop: Expanding Your Career Potential – the second date of a two-part workshop presented by Deborah Hunt and David Grossman. Cost: $35 for BayNET members, $45 for non-members, and $35 for students and unemployed. Location: Alameda County Conference Center on the 4th floor of the Alameda County Law Library building, 125 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607. For all the info and online registration, please see the BayNET website.
- July 21, 2012 to July 24, 2012: 105th AALL Annual Meeting & Conference – The AALL Annual Meeting and Conference is an essential learning and networking opportunity for legal information professionals. The conference features approximately 100 educational programs and workshops, nearly as many vendor exhibits, abundant social opportunities, an onsite Career Center, and more. The conference is in Boston, MA this year. For all the info, please see the AALL website event page.
- July 24, 2012: AALL (Boston) Networking Event – King’s Bowl 4 PM – 7 PM. Across the street from the conference center. NOCALL will be buying appetizers. Blow off the last of your AALL steam by getting a team together and bowling ($5.50 per game, shoe rental $4). Or, they have Billiards and Shuffleboard for $10/hour (prorated to the minute) and Skee ball $8 per half hour (prorated to the minute). Happy hour prices before 6 pm. Please RSVP to Shannon Burchard.
- July 24, 2012: Left Behind 3-Corners (no Fresno event) – If you’re not going to AALL in Boston, please join those of us who remain behind as we gather on Tuesday, July 24 from 5-8pm, when the three corners of NOCALL meet to network at the same time our colleagues gather in Boston!
- SF * Holding Company (same location as the Librarian Mashup). Top floor of Embarcadero Two. RSVP to Julie Horst [canceled]
- Peninsula * Sharon Lahey and Fenwick & West will be our gracious hosts as we gather to play some bocce on their roof top court and network with our colleagues. RSVP to Ellen Platt to get the “secret knock for entry”
- Sacramento * Iron Steaks. RSVP to Coral Henning
- September 18, 2012: Brown Bag NOCALL Educational Event from 12-1:30 pm. Professor Robert Berring will be sharing – “Reminiscences from a Librarian Who Saw It All”:
I typed catalog cards as a student employee, worked for some of the professions’ titans, was viewed as too much in love with computers, then viewed as too resistant to computers and had a good time the whole way.
Where: Farella, Braun + Martell LLP 235 Montgomery St., 19th Floor San Francisco, CA 941204 What: Brown bag, cookies and drinks provided! RSVP: to Lori Ruth by RSVP by Friday Sept. 14.
- September 27, 2012: NOCALL September Business Meeting at Ten22 in Old Sacramento from 11 am – 1:30 pm. Ten22 is within easy walking distance or a short cab ride from the Sacramento Amtrak Station. Ten22 will provide a $5 parking voucher to those presenting their parking tickets from the garage across the street from Ten22 at 2d & I Streets. Please submit your registration form ASAP with menu choices no later than Tuesday, September 18th. Network, Dine, Down to Business! We’ll see you there!
- October 22-24, 2012: Internet Librarian 2012 – The is the 16th annual Internet Librarian Conference— a comprehensive conference and exhibition offering a wide-ranging program designed to meet the needs of librarians, information managers, systems professionals, researchers, content managers, and information specialists. For information on this year’s conference program click here. NOCALL members can register for the Internet Librarian Conference 2012 here.
- October 25, 2012: NOCALL Fall Workshop – “Keeping Our Edge, Communicating Our Strengths!” Preservation Park, Nile Hall, in Oakland, CA. 8:30 am – 12:30 pm. The NOCALL Education Committee is pleased to bring you three educational segments that will help you “keep your edge” in today’s job market!
- Workshop Schedule:
- 8:30 – 9:00 Continental breakfast, sponsored by CEB
- 9:00 – 10:00 Legal KM: A Law Librarian’s Guide to What’s Hot, What’s Not, and How to Stay Ahead of the Curve, Presenter: Ayelette Robinson
- 10-10:15 break
- 10:15-11:15 How to be Competitive in Today’s Economy, Presenter: Jill Klees, Employment Specialist, SJSU
- 11:15-11:30 break
- 11:30-12:30 Law Librarian Coffee Talk, Presenters: Colleen Cable, Holly Riccio
- Please click here for the registration. Please also see this PDF of maps, directions, parking.
- Workshop Schedule:
- October 28, 2012: Dust off your wheels and come to a NOCALL Wheelie Event! Join us for a NOCALL Wheelie Event at Cañada Road Bicycle on Sunday, October 28 at 9:30 a.m. Embark on a fun roll (or stroll) with your NOCALL friends through beautiful Cañada Road. We will be meeting at the Park n’ Ride Lot off Edgewood Road at 9:30 a.m. and will hit the road shortly thereafter. If you are in need of more NOCALL socializing, stop by the Pulgas Water Temple at 11:00 a.m. with your lunch and chat with your colleagues while enjoying the morning! **Per the Division of Parks’ website, the event is subject to cancellation for weather, conditions, or staffing. Call Bicycle Sunday Hotline at (650) 361-1785 on the day of the event for an update.** Brought to you by your NOCALL Networking Committee: Julie, Ellen, Grace, and Rachael
- December 6, 2012: Holiday Four Corners Event – Networking, fun and friends! Please respond to the below-listed point person in your area if you are planning on attending. (This is to get a head count for purposes of confirming reservations and ordering appetizers).
Four Corners Gatherings
Thursday, December 6, 2012
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Be There, or Be Square!
San Francisco Cityhouse Bar – (at the Parc 55 Wyndham) 55 Cyril Magnin Street San Francisco. RSVP: Rachael Samberg, Stanford Law School
Sacramento Iron Steaks – 2422 13th St. (Corner of Broadway and 13th) Plenty of free parking. RSVP: Coral Henning, Sacramento County Public Law Library
South Bay Scott’s Seafood – 420 Castro Street, Mountain View. Within four blocks of the Mountain ViewCaltrain station. Around the corner from Fenwick & West and across the street from Casa Lupe. At the corner of California Street & Castro Street. Street Parking. RSVP: Sharon Lahey, Fenwick & West or Ellen Platt, Santa Clara Law
Fresno/Central Valley Cask & Cork Bistro Pourhouse – 9447 North Fort Washington Road, #101 Fresno. “Please join your Central Valley NOCALLers for food and fun at the Cask & Cork Bistro-Pourhouse. Patio available, weather permitting.” RSVP: Kerry Prindiville, San Joaquin College of Law
- December 12, 2012: Jenny Kanji Memorial – LexisNexis would like to invite friends and colleagues of Jenny’s to a late afternoon tea to be held in the LexisNexis San Francisco Business Center (201 Mission St.) from 5 – 7:00 p.m. More formal invitations will be sent in late November. If you have questions, please contact Michael Saint-Onge.