Listed in reverse chronological order:
- 01/19/2021 Executive Director, San Diego Law Library, San Diego, CA
- 01/14/2021 R&I Operation Implementation Manager, Temporary, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, All U.S. Offices
- 01/08/2021 Research Specialist, Jackson Lewis P.C., Flexible Location
- 12/04/2020 Research and Library Manager, (Agency Listing), Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, CA
- 10/01/2020 Research Librarian, Troutman Pepper, All US Offices
- 09/24/2020 Law Librarian/Director, Yolo County Law Library, Woodland, CA
- 08/04/2020 Supervising Librarian I, California Department of Justice, San Diego, CA
01/19/2021 Executive Director, San Diego Law Library, San Diego, CA
SEEKING INNOVATIVE AND VISIONARY LEADER TO TAKE COUNTY LAW LIBRARY INTO THE FUTURE
The San Diego County Public Law Library seeks to hire an innovative and visionary leader as its Director of Libraries. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees, manages a staff of 22, and oversees a multi-million dollar budget. The Director works cooperatively with the Court, County and other local governments, California Legislators, bar associations, law schools, law firms, and local community agencies to help tens of thousands of self-represented litigants seeking access to free legal information. The Director will bring forward new and creative pathways to increase resources, partnerships and engagement to improve access to justice for County residents. The position reports to a nine-member Board of Trustees consisting of both judges and attorneys.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate leader with a vision for taking the law library into the future and the ability to manage and motivate a team to turn that vision into reality. A proven record in the following is essential:
- Maintaining and developing strong community relations with the specific goal of creating gateways of access to the law library in ways that provide mutual benefits to the partners.
- Refining and implementing a strategic plan that has a clear direction but is flexible enough to adapt to fluid circumstances influenced by uncertainties around revenue stream, physical access, the political climate and board leadership changes.
- Managing and developing an inclusive culture with particular focus on collaboration, new ways of working, and knowledge sharing to retain and attract top talent that will support the vision for the law library.
- JD/MLS is preferred but legal experience is essential to navigate the community and nuances of the legal system. Library experience is also important.
- Minimum five years of managing a team, preferably in the public sector. Proven experience developing a “learning organization.”
- Experience managing a budget, preferably with experience navigating public audits
- Demonstrated political acumen with legislation and/or fundraising advocacy experience at the state and local levels.
- Community partnership/alliance builder.
- Experience driving digital transformation
Please send resumes & cover letters to email@example.com
Salary: Competitive with other California Law Libraries of this size.
01/14/2021 R&I Operation Implementation Manager, Temporary, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, All U.S. Offices
R&I Operations Implementation Manager, Temporary
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Location: Any US Office Location
Orrick currently has an excellent opportunity for a Temporary R&I Operations Implementation Manager. This position could be based out of any of our US office Locations.
The R&I Operations Implementation Manager is an innovative interim position with primary responsibility for transitioning the R&I Operations for success in a post-pandemic, virtual workplace. This person will assist the Operations Team in implementing new roles and proficiencies around awareness, adoption, and automation. The Implementation Manager will be responsible for establishing new process and technological efficiencies, including implementing new software solutions.
· Works with the R&I Operations Team to create and execute product awareness and adoption strategy within the firm
· Guides the R&I Operations Team to identify and implement potential efficiencies and process improvements for technical services functions like acquisitions and electronic access via authentication, password management, etc.
· Supports the R&I Operations Team in the transition of duties and the adoption of new responsibilities
· Implements new software solutions and maximizes functionality of existing tools
· Creates documentation and provides instruction in the use of new technologies
· Establishes new benchmarking methods and metrics
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Master’s Degree in library/information science (from ALA accredited school) or equivalent work experience required
· At least five years of progressive law library technical services experience required
· Management experience preferred
· Possess a high degree of knowledge relating to law library systems, such as EOS, OneLog and Research Monitor, as well as proficiency with all major legal research platforms and databases
· Familiarity with MS Office, Power BI, SharePoint and high level of comfort with information technology required
· Should possess effective communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability in interact with all levels of law firm personnel required
· High level of initiative and independent thinking required; ability to work effectively under pressure and to sort priorities with minimum level of direct supervision
· Work history should demonstrate enthusiasm, flexibility, and a positive attitude
· Proven track record of working in a collaborative environment
Who is Orrick? Orrick is a global law firm focused on serving the technology & innovation, energy & infrastructure and finance sectors. Founded more than 150 years ago in San Francisco, Orrick today has offices in 25+ markets worldwide. Financial Times has selected Orrick as the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America from 2016-2018 and named us runner-up in 2019. The American Lawyer gave the firm its first Legal Innovation Award and in 2019 recognized us for “Best Use of Technology.” For the fifth year in a row, Fortune named Orrick to its 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. Learn more about our awesome employee experience here: Fortune 100 Great Place To Work certified company*.
Please visit http://www.orrick.com for more information about the firm.
How to Apply: If you are searching for a chance to create an impact, you have a little grit and you love working with a team, we want to talk with you. To submit your resume and cover letter for this position, please visit our Staff and Paralegal Opportunities Listings at www.orrick.com/Careers.
No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Consistent with the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring
01/08/2021 Research Specialist, Jackson Lewis P.C., Flexible Location
Position Announcement: Research Specialist
Focused on labor and employment law since 1958, Jackson Lewis P.C.’s 950+ attorneys located in major cities nationwide consistently identify and respond to new ways workplace law intersects business. We help employers develop proactive strategies, strong policies and business-oriented solutions to cultivate high-functioning workforces that are engaged, stable and diverse, and share our clients’ goals to emphasize inclusivity and respect for the contribution of every employee.
The Firm is ranked in the First Tier nationally in the category of Labor and Employment Litigation, as well as in both Employment Law and Labor Law on behalf of Management, in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”.
Jackson Lewis P.C. has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Research Specialist to expand its staff of Innovation and Knowledge Management (IKM) professionals in a centralized Reference program.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis in legal, business, and other subjects for attorneys, paralegals and staff throughout all offices of the Firm.
- Use appropriate online and print research resources to provide excellent practice support in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Utilize project management and planning skills to prioritize competing assignments, work within recognized budgetary constraints and consistently meet tight deadlines.
- Create and maintain current awareness newsletters and alerts for ongoing monitoring of clients, industries, and special topics.
- Serve as IKM Liaison to several of the firm’s Practice and Industry Groups in order to assist with each group’s broad structure and content-related needs.
- Work on special projects as needed.
Skills and educational requirements:
- Master of Library and Information Science degree from accredited institution.
- At least two years of Reference/Research experience in law firm library or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic legal and business products.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of remote/centralized team.
- Able to perform at high level under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- General understanding of databases and MS Office applications.
- Experience with labor and employment law is a plus.
Jackson Lewis understands that embracing our differences makes us a stronger, better firm. We appreciate the importance of having a workforce that reflects the various communities in which we work. We strive to create an inclusive environment where diverse employees want to work and where they can flourish professionally. In furtherance of our culture, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Submit cover letter and resume to KMInfoRecruiting@jacksonlewis.com. No calls, please.
12/04/2020 Research and Library Manager, (Agency Listing), Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, CA
LAC Group is seeking a Research and Library Manager for a prestigious law firm with offices located in Southern California (located in Los Angeles, Orange County or San Diego). The Research and Library Manager position will be responsible for managing the entire law library SoCal research team as well as growing the team, training, conducting legal research, and communicating with the attorneys and legal staff. Research and Library Manager can be located in any of the three locations (position will initially be remote due to Covid).
- Manage the Southern California research team located across three offices (Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego).
- Hire and train research staff.
- Perform advanced research support for attorneys and professional staff.
- Assist Law Library Director with any special projects or tasks.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or allied discipline in an accredited program is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of high level basic and advanced legal research in a law firm or corporate environment is required.
- 2+ years of supervisor experience of a research team in a law firm or corporate environment is required.
- Proficiency in research tools including Westlaw, Lexis, Capital IQ, Thomson One, Pitchbook, Mergermarket, Bloomberg and Newsdesk.
- A demonstrated knowledge and passion for legal research is strongly preferred.
To apply, visit: https://lac.gp/39J1rOY
10/01/2020 Research Librarian, Troutman Pepper, All US Offices
Troutman Pepper, an AmLaw 50 Firm with 23 offices and over 1,100 attorneys nationwide, has need for an experienced, talented, enthusiastic, and professional Research Librarian for our Research Services Team. This position will report to the Senior Library and Research Manager and can be located at any Troutman Pepper office. As an active member of the national Library team, the Research Services Librarian, working both independently as well as within a team, provides daily information services needed by attorneys and all other Firm personnel to support all practice areas and business and client development activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform manual and online substantive and complex Legal and Business research; develop research strategy and determine best resources to provide accurate, cost-effective, and timely research results; analyze results to determine additional research requirements.
- Take full ownership of issues/research and see them through to resolution/completion.
- Collaborate effortlessly and proactively across the Library with peers on assignments and projects.
- Promote team atmosphere and positive Library image.
- Function effectively as both a research project manager as well as a collaborative member of larger research initiatives.
- Bill research time and costs to client files as appropriate.
- Identify new or more cost-effective ways to accomplish research tasks.
- Perform electronic current awareness monitoring, analyzing the results and providing appropriate information to attorneys.
- Review and evaluate practice specific web sites. Provide guidance on updates and revisions on practice pages and internal Library sites.
- Assist in minor technical services functions when needed, including support of remote office locations as required.
- Train lawyers, paralegals, and staff in the use of information resources; develop, prepare and conduct presentations/orientations giving information and training on relevant resources. Assist in preparing and updating guides, newsletters, intranet pages, etc. which assist in the use of Library services and information resources.
- Proactively seek input from practice groups, attorneys, and paralegals to identify new services/resources of value.
- Assist with collection development and budget planning as required.
- Assist with implementation of technological advancements in research or research aids; participates in the testing of new software, resources, etc.
- Participate in HELP DESK resolution of problems pertinent to the Library and Library resources.
- Continue to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures as well as to keep updated on trends and developments in the industry. This includes meeting annual personal development goals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Expertise with all relevant online services, including but not limited to LexisNexis, Westlaw, CourtLink, Bloomberg Law, Cheetah, Intelligize, etc.
- Knowledge of Patent and IP-based information sources like Derwent, Docket Navigator, etc. desirable.
- Working knowledge of QUEST and Research Monitor highly desirable.
- Recent experience/expertise with Cite-Checking/Bluebooking.
- Strong working ability to apply analytical skills for determining need and exercising judgment regarding information sources and content resulting in effective research strategies driving targeted and relevant results.
- Proven ability to provide basic synthesis and packaging of research results for effective dissemination across a variety of audiences.
- Organizational skills sufficient to prioritize work and complete assignments accurately, either independently or as part of a team, under pressure of competing deadlines and with frequent interruptions, working from one’s own initiative and/or following direction, policies, or procedures.
- Strong professional verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills with the ability to act effectively as a representative of the Library, providing customer service in a courteous manner and working effectively with diverse groups of people at various levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to function in large team environments, yet still have the ability to work independently.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
- Ability to instruct in the use of a variety of print and electronic research resources and provide presentations related to information resources.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of a Master of Library Science program at an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- JD. or a second master’s degree in a subject useful to the business is desirable.
- Five or more years of professional research experience within the Legal field preferred.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, to AtlantaStaffResumes@troutman.com
09/24/2020 Law Librarian/Director, Yolo County Law Library, Woodland, CA
The County of Yolo is conducting a recruitment on behalf of the Yolo County Law Library for one Law Librarian position. The Law Librarian will have a variety of responsibilities including developing and recommending policies and guidelines for the Law Library; developing and recommending long-range plans; organizing, coordinating, and directing the work of staff/volunteers; preparing and monitoring the budget; and maintaining the facility, equipment, and inventory. This is an at-will, part-time position (approximately 20-30 hours per week), and the candidate selected will serve at the pleasure of the Yolo County Law Library Board of Trustees. The hourly salary range is $17.50-$22.50 per hour. Salary placement is negotiable, and will be decided based on background and experience.
To apply for this career opportunity, please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Attends meetings; prepares minutes, notices, agendas, composes library correspondence;
monitors established policies and guidelines, develops long-range plans; updates procedure manuals and other library records; manage access to Yolo County Bar Association members; prepares financial records/annual report, monitors budget, status of accounts payable, card key usage; administers computer Internet research services; and hires/directs staff.
Evaluates existing book collection, assesses needs of patrons; recommends specific purchases;
selects materials considered for purchase;verifies/orders library books/materials, avoids duplication; renews subscriptions and authorizes (with Board approval) books received.
Public Relations and Professional Development
Establishes working relationships with County personnel, library patrons, other librarians, Northern California Legal Assistance, and the Yolo County Bar Association; and attends conference/seminars of relevant professional organizations (e.g. CCCLL, NOCALL).
Reports facility issues; checks for repair of library equipment and contact service representatives for necessary repairs; and maintains inventory including furniture and equipment.
Education: Successful completion of high school (or GED certificate), and two (2) years of college or equivalent. Knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
Experience: Experience working in a law library, conducting legal research or other relevant prior employment.
Application & Selection Process
It is highly recommended that you print this job bulletin for future reference.
Your resume should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Your resume and any additional documents you choose to include must be received by the Human Resources Office by the final filing date. Postmarks will not be accepted. Human Resources is not responsible for the untimely delivery of materials sent via U.S./specialized mail, or County interoffice mail.
The following is a tentative schedule of events that will occur as part of the selection process. The selection process steps, and all listed dates, may change with or without notice.
Week of 10/26/2020: Screen for Minimum Qualifications
Week of 11/02/2020: Screen for Best Qualified
Timeframe TBD: Department Selection Interviews
Timeframe TBD: Reference Checks
Timeframe TBD: Tentative Job Offer/Livescan/Drug & Alcohol Screen
For questions about the position or about employment with the County, please contact Jenny Brown by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (530) 666-8328.
For complete position description, go to : https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/yolococa/jobs/2864763/law-librarian
08/04/2020 Supervising Librarian I, California Department of Justice, San Diego, CA
If you love a challenge, enjoy research, and are looking for an environment that values creative problem solving and critical thinking skills, this could be the position for you! We are seeking a highly motivated, dedicated and hard-working individual who successfully works in a team environment to provide exceptional service to the California Department of Justice. The Supervising Librarian is responsible for providing reference and research assistance to the legal staff, oversight of the San Diego library collection, and will supervise a library technical assistant. The incumbent also assists with library orientation for new legal staff and coordinates and/or provides Lexis, Westlaw, Intranet/Internet and other training. The deadline for applying is August 25, 2020.
For more details on how to apply, salary and contact, see: https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=210808