1. Executive Board Meeting Minutes & Business Meeting Minutes
- The secretary is responsible for taking the minutes at the chapter business meetings, as well as at all Executive Board meetings. Take good notes at all meetings. After meetings, type up draft minutes.
- Circulate copy, first to President for any changes. After President’s approval, circulate to all Board members for their comments and review.
- At next Board meeting, distribute copies again and make sure approval of minutes is on agenda. Make any changes or corrections.
- After minutes have been approved, sign them and:
- Send copy to Archivist
- Keep original in your Secretary’s binder.
- For Business Meeting Minutes, send full text minutes to newsletter editor for next newsletter.
- For Executive Board Meeting Minutes, create a “Highlights” for newsletter editor and send to newsletter editor.
- Update Index of Board Resolutions and Decisions, if necessary.
- Following the Bylaws, Article IV, the Executive Board, namely the Secretary, is in charge of notifying the membership of the candidates by the nominating committee no later than January 20. This is done by posting to the NOCALL List, inclusion in the newsletter and on the webpage. The biography of each candidate is included on the NOCALL website and on the election website.
- The Secretary prepares the election website in accordance with AALL deadlines and mails the secret ballot to all active members who have not supplied the Membership Committee with an e-mail address. The election begins March 1. Persons elected shall be notified no later than April 1.
- The ballots are retained until the annual meeting, at which time, by appropriate motion, they may be destroyed.
3. Index Board Resolutions and Decisions
- The Resolutions and Decisions are very important and each Board member, especially the Secretary, should be thoroughly familiar with all active resolutions. This list sets precedent that following Boards should abide by. The Board also needs to rescind decisions that it no longer deems fit.
- All Executive Board resolutions must be numbered and added to the chronological and subject index of resolutions. After minutes are approved, scan through them to see if any Board actions should be added to the Index. Mostly, these actions should have long term effects or be of historical significance. It’s basically the Secretary’s call. Number the action sequentially through the calendar year.
- Next, update the chronological and subject index. If there is no subject heading, create a new one, and see also references, as needed.
- Print out the revised list and distribute it to Board members.
4. Board Liaison to Assigned Committee Chairs
- Each year the Board splits up and assigns each member to be a liaison to several committees. This entails contacting chairs prior to all board meetings to cover questions and concerns they may have. The Secretary may want to send out a message on the NOCALL List a week prior to all Board meetings, reminding chairs to submit anything they think needs Board attention.
5. NOCALL Letterhead
- The Secretary is responsible for maintaining a supply of NOCALL stationery used by the President, Board members, and Chairs, if necessary, for NOCALL related purposes.
6. Policies & Procedures Manual
- The Secretary is responsible for general upkeep and distribution of the Manual to the Executive Board and all committee chairs.